Please see the 2019-2020 Middle School Dress Code (also found in the Student Handbook) below. Pay close attention to the areas in red, as those are violated most often. Beginning this school year, leggings and yoga pants WILL NOT be permitted. The dress code will be strictly enforced.
Students must be in dress code upon entering the campus in the morning and remain in dress code throughout the day until the last bell rings to release students to go home. Students out of dress code will be reported to the office for a dress code violation.
- Dress and/or grooming should be appropriate in order to prevent disruption or interference of normal school operations and should promote a businesslike atmosphere in the classroom.
- Students must wear appropriate underclothing.
- Clothing shall not exhibit pictures, emblems, or writing that is lewd, offensive, advertises or depicts tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, drugs, sexually related topics or anything that represents gang/secret society membership. In addition, the principal or designee may use judgment in prohibiting clothing that promotes hate, violence, and suggestive slogans as depicted in television or media.
- Shirts (including t-shirts), blouses, tops, etc. must reach below the waistline all the way around when arms are extended to the side. Shirts are to be buttoned appropriately. Muscle shirts, halter tops, tube tops, and off the shoulder blouses are prohibited. Sleeveless shirts or dresses may be worn by girls, but must measure at least 2.5 inches on the shoulder. Students may not wear low neck/back blouses. Sweatshirts with hoods may be worn, but hoods may not be worn in the building during school hours.
- Shorts, skirts, and dresses will not be shorter than 3 inches above the knee (measured from the top of the knee cap).
- Strapless dresses, sundresses, blouses or any other apparel that is low cut in front or back is prohibited.
- Clothing should be the appropriate size. No sagging or low riders will be permitted. Pants must be worn at the waistline and must completely cover underclothing. Pants and shorts must be secured at the waist.
- Leggings, yoga pants, spandex shorts, athletic shorts above the knee area, lace shorts, tights, and boxers may not be worn.
- Pants, shorts, and skirts with holes, frays or tears above the knee are not permitted. Large gaping holes are not permitted.
- Appropriate footwear must be worn at all times, for health and safety reasons. All shoes should have a secure fit. House shoes and steel-toed boots are not permitted.
- Hair shall be kept neat, clean and well-groomed and not disrupt the learning environment. Boys’ hair will not extend below the eyebrows, below the earlobes, or below the top of the tee shirt. No extremes are allowed including: Unnatural hair dyes/colors are not permitted, Spiked hair, mohawks of any type, rat tails, ponytails (males) or headbands are not allowed.
- Facial hair is not permitted and sideburns must not extend below the bottom of the earlobe. Students must be clean-shaven at all times.
- Cosmetics or makeup shall be applied in such a manner that users shall not appear conspicuous or attract undue attention.
- Tattoos must not be visible during the school day.
- Hats, caps, bandannas, and other headgear of any kind shall not be worn inside any school building. These items should be put away upon entering the building each day and not carried to classrooms during the school day.
- Sunglasses may not be worn inside the school building.
- Wearing of heavy chains or spiked jewelry is unacceptable.
- Male students shall not wear earrings or ear studs.
- No body piercing jewelry will be allowed. Spacers may not be worn by any student.
***The administration may allow exceptions to the dress code on designated days.
***The administration reserves the right to judge whether any current fashion or fad is appropriate for school wear and to require any student to change his or her attire if it is not found acceptable. If not corrected, the student shall be placed in ISS for the remainder of the day or until the problem is corrected.
**** CHRONIC DRESS CODE VIOLATORS WILL BE PLACED IN ISS IMMEDIATELY.
If the Principal or Principal’s designee determines that a student’s grooming or clothing violates the school’s dress code, the student will be given an opportunity to correct the problem at school. Appropriate dress is an expectation of all White Oak ISD students. Students who are not in compliance with the district dress code will be dealt with according to the steps below:
- 1st Violation – Student will be given the option to call a parent for a change of clothes with time out of class not to exceed thirty minutes; or change into campus provided alternative clothing.
- 2nd Violation – Student will be provided campus alternative clothing and assigned 1 detention.
- 3rd Violation – Student will be provided campus alternative clothing and assigned 1 day of ISS .
- 4th Violation and beyond – Student will be provided campus alternative clothing and will be assigned 3 days of ISS.
* Students choosing not to wear Alternative Clothing, as assigned, shall be placed in ISS for the day.
** Students who are in violation but unable to correct the infraction without leaving school, such as hair color, shall be placed in ISS for the day and remain in ISS until the correction has been made.
*** Students who check out of school to avoid disciplinary consequences, including dress code consequences, shall serve ISS the day they return to school.
*** ANY variation in dress code MUST have prior administrative approval which will be communicated to all via announcements.
TEA will begin uploading grades 3-8 STAAR scores on the parent portal soon. Please log in to texasassessment.com to view your child’s results. In order to view results, you will need an access code. Click on “Find My Access Code” to begin. You will then enter your child’s name, birth date, and social security number. Once you enter this information, you will receive an access code. Save this code so you can return at any time. This site will give you a lot of useful information about your child.
Parents- Please click on the link below to learn more about STAAR.
The 7th and 8th grade band students will be traveling to Six Flags tomorrow. Below is the itinerary along with other helpful info:
- Meet in the MS Band Hall by 7:45. As soon as the Charter Buses show up, we will start to check roll.
- Depart the school by 8:00 am
- Arrive at Six Flags by 10:00-10:30 am. Park opens at 10:30 am
- Start checking in and heading to the buses at 5:30 pm.
- Depart the Park by 6:00 pm
- If everyone shows up on time and there are no issues, we will stop at Buc-ee’s in Terrell for a quick stop before heading home.
- Arrive at the school by 9:30 pm (Due to travel times and stops, 9:30 is just an estimate. Parents, please be flexible.)
- The buses will park in the back of the school, so please plan on kicking up your student in the same location.
***I am aware that there is the potential for severe weather coming in overnight. The latest weather model shows that it will push out of the DFW area by 10:30 or so and give way to lots of sun. We will push through as planned but we will keep a sharp eye on the weather and make adjustments as needed.
Things to remember about taking Snacks / Drinks and other items on the Charter Buses:
- No Open Top Beverages. This includes fountain drinks and can drinks. Any drink must have a screw on lid so that it does not leak all over the charter bus floor.
- Any food must be contained in a bag and must not be dropped on the floor. This includes chips, which are notorious for leaving crumbs all over the ground.
- NO SUNFLOWER SEEDS WHATSOEVER.
- The bus needs to remain clean at all times.
- Any items may be left on the charter while in the park. The Driver will be on board the entire time and will make sure noone steals it.
- Bring a phone charger to keep your phone charged. There are plugs at every seat. I will be communicating via text message throughout the day, so please make sure your phone doesn’t run out of power before we even get to the park.
Important: We will have early release at 12:00, on Tuesday and Wednesday.